Forum site for the Big Time Coach family of mobile coacing applications

Coach Carl
Topic Author

Score Keeping in Pitch Counter

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:17 pm

While I understand that scoring was not part of the original design, I think there may be an opportunity to incorporate scorekeeping into the app so that coaches using the pitch counter can use one tool while in the dugout or even... when coaching a base.

The pitch counter works so well that when called upon I use it as a clicker when umpiring games. It seems to me that there is an opportunity to elevate the safe button to include selections for hits (1B, 2B, 3B, HR), Errors, etc.

The key is to use the pitch counter interface (easy to use, no need to look at it when counting) to score games with enough information to keep key stats and have some record of what happened for the game. This would eliminate the need to keep a scorebook while doing pitch counts.

I've found that the other apps out there - that I use when not coaching - work really well, but they are biased toward keeping score rather tracking pitches first, scoring second. They also require too much attention when scoring and... the use of a diamond when scoring the game limits screen real estate. So - I don't have the answer, just know what I need or want. Use the pitch counter as normal, and track key parts of the game needed by coaches when using Pitch Counter during the game.

Thanks for your consideration.

BTCSupport

Re: Score Keeping in Pitch Counter

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:28 pm

I know we've looked at this before, and had some folks request this functionality. We've been reluctant to dive into the score keeping area because iScore and GameChanger both have good products. On the other hand, they are score keeping / stats biased where Pitch Counter is arm health and pitching performance (via strike percentage) biased.

We also appreciate that Coaches are able to use Pitch Counter from the dugout, base coach area, and even when filling in as an umpire.

This is certainly something to consider and we'll look deeper into it.